Positive Behaviour for Learning (PB4L)
Hanmer Springs School is implementing a number of initiatives to support improvements in learning and behaviour. We look forward to sharing our journey with the school community through the newsletter, website, parent evenings and celebrations.
The PB4L initiative has been very successful across many schools in New Zealand. It is an evidenced based framework and looks at behaviour and learning from a whole school and individual student perspective. It provides schools with a process for teaching social and behavioural skills and helps to develop and reinforce a positive, proactive and systematic approach based on school data. It takes the approach that opportunities for learning and achievement increase if:
- the school environment is positive and supportive
- expectations are consistently clear
- students are consistently taught expected behaviours
- expected behaviours are consistently acknowledged
- inappropriate behaviours are consistently responded to in a fair and equitable way.
"PB4L aims to provide a positive school climate and to create a supportive environment for personal, social, and academic growth for students and staff. In other words, the school-wide plan is essentially an instrument to enable the goals of the school to be achieved, especially the goals of student achievement." Colvin, 2007, page 10